Follow these steps to connect to SQL server database:
1. Click on Get Data.
2. Go to Database and select Sql server database.
3. Then Type your server name.
4. Connect data through import(for data+metadata/offline) or direct query(metadata/online) to sql server.
5. Type any Sql statements. (optional)
6. Select mode of authentication (window /database/Microsoft account).
7. Select required tables and fields residing in Sql server database for creating your report and visualization.
8. Click Ok.
9. Now the data is retrieved and is ready to create visualizations.
Hope this helps you.