Career Switch a scary word buddy. I am struggling to switch my career and all I see is I have failed so far. I have been grassing around for the courses, blogs Quora answers etc etc .. Ended up with just plain free advice .. Nothing fruitful or solid on hand.
Common Advice : Follow your Passion ! but nobody says how do I find my real passion . I am not a geek I don't get excited about many things Just an average foe looking for ways to keep my lifestyle in same or at a better level . I know I sometimes hate my current job but I don't know what I am interested in . Sometimes everything seems interesting I learn about many things but just to the level that I get an overview and leave it there hanging. Hope many share my state of frustration. But career switch is necessary for everyone . Simple MANTRA : Switch the career whenever it feels too comfortable ...
Now coming to your question . Here are my thoughts Things you need to keep in mind are
- Don't be in a hurry to switch careers
- Create a proper career path make sure that career switches are related to one another in a progressive manner
- Look for the skills that you can port from one to the next job . It is not necessary to always start from the first , You will be surprised how much your old mundane skills becomes a boon in the new unknown territory.
- Don't get carried away by the short term gains and lose your long term goal at the same time be alert to grasp an opportunity that can fulfill your dreams faster
- Try multiple options and stick to one that you feel aligned to your goals.
- Get opinions from multiple persons but make sure decision is yours and not others
Seems I can go on and on but want to stop here so that at least some people read it till the end.
Good luck with your career switch