Here a few skills needed in a DevOps engineer:
1. Soft skills- DevOps is all about Development team and the operations team working together and communication and soft skill is a must.
2. Basic understanding of the following technologies and tools
Source Control (like Git, Bitbucket, Svn, VSTS etc)
Continuous Integration (like Jenkins, Bamboo, VSTS )
Infrastructure Automation (like Puppet, Chef, Ansible)
Deployment Automation & Orchestration (like Jenkins, VSTS, Octopus Deploy)
Container Concepts (LXD, Docker)
Orchestration (Kubernetes, Mesos, Swarm)
Cloud (like AWS, Azure, GoogleCloud, Openstack)
3. Security Training- DevOps engineers must be able to write secure code to protect applications from attack, as well as defend against common cybersecurity vulnerabilities
4. Experience with automation tools- Since devops is all about automation basic knowledge of all these automation is a must.
5. Strong testing skills
6. Customer first mind set as at the end of the day customer satisfaction is the goal.
7. Collaboration - Most devops teams work in smaller teams and integrate their work and hence collaboration is a must.