After receiving a request, I'll put the resolution I found here to assist others. It's been a while since I worked on this solution, so I apologise if I missed any important information.
Installing OpenOffice.org on the server is the first step that must be taken. I asked my web host to set up the open office RPM on my VPS. You can accomplish this simply through WHM.
You can convert the files by running command line instructions through PHP now that the server can handle MS Office files. For this, I discovered PyODConverter: https://github.com/mirkonasato/pyodconverter
I created a directory on the server and placed the PyODConverter python file within it. I also created a plain text file above the web root (I named it "adocpdf"), with the following command line instructions in it:
if [ "`ps ax|grep -v grep|grep -c $SERVICE`" -lt 1 ]; then
/usr/bin/soffice -headless -accept="socket,host=127.0.0.1,port=8100;urp;" -nofirststartwizard &
python /home/website/python/DocumentConverter.py /home/website/$directory$filename$extension /home/website/$directory$filename.pdf