Yes, Security Specialist is a wide range of jobs. In most cases, you will be designing, testing and implementing security measures. You will also be responsible to monitor these security measures. This again is very generic and might not give you a clear idea. I am listing down some specific tasks of a Security Specialist:
- Analyze and establish security requirements for your systems/networks
- Prevent unauthorized access, modification and/or destruction of systems
- Configure and support security tools such as firewalls, anti-virus software, patch management systems, etc.
- Performing vulnerability testing, risk analyses, and security assessments
- Train fellow employees in security awareness, protocols, and procedures
- Conduct audits to ensure operational security
- Research new security techniques, and recommend security upgrades