Let me give you the complete explanation of the Java main method:
public static void main(String args)
- "public" is the access modifier which means main() can be called from anywhere.
- "static" is a keyword which signifies main() doesn't belong to any specific object
- "void" is the return type that means that main() returns no value
- "main" is the name of a function. main() is special because it is the point from where JRE starts the execution of the program.
- "String" means we are going to use an array of String type.
- "args" is the name of the String. "args" is not a keyword, so you can name it anything else and it would not affect your program
public static void main(String parameter)
So basically, String args represents a collection of Strings that are separated by a space and can be typed into the program on the terminal directly.