Top Node.js Interview Questions You Must Prepare In 2018
Recommended by 4 users
If you have attended Node.js interviews in the recent past, do paste your questions in the comments tab below and we’ll be happy to get our technical teams to answer them.
Node.js Interview Questions
1. What is Node.js?
Wikipedia defines Node.js as “an open-source, cross-platform runtime environment for developing server-side Web applications.” It is essentially server side scripting which is used to build scalable programs.
3. What is the fundamental difference between Node.js and Ajax?
4. Explain the term I/O in the context of Node.js.
I/O stands for input and output. It is used to access anything outside of the application. I/O gets loaded on to the machine memory in order to run programs after the application is fired up.
5. State where Node.js can be used.
- Web apps
- Network applications
- Distributed systems
- General purpose applications
6. Which are the two types of API functions in Node.js?
Asynchronous, non-blocking functions and Synchronous, blocking functions.
7. List the tools and IDEs that are used for Node.js.
- Nodeclipse Enide Studio
- JetBrains WebStorm
- JetBrains InteliJ IDEA
- MS Visual Studio
8. Explain the role of the Callback function in Node.js.
In Node.js, the Callback function is used to cater to multiple requests made to the server. If there is a large file that is expected to take the server a long time to process, the Callback function can be invoked to ensure that other requests to the server are uninterrupted.
9. What is an error-first callback?
Error-first callbacks are essentially used to pass errors and data. By default, the first argument is always an error object, where the user needs to check if something is wrong.
10. In the context of Node.js, differentiate between operational and programmer errors.
Operational errors are not real errors. They are system errors, for example “request timeout” or “hardware error”. Programmer errors are actual bugs in the code.
11. Which is the framework that is most commonly used in Node.js?
The most commonly used Node.js framework is “Express”.
12. Define “event-driven programming.
It is essentially a programming paradigm where the program flow is characterized by events such as messages from other programs.
13. What are the two sections of event-driven programming?
Event Selection and Event Handling are two sections of event-driven programming.
14. List some of the big advantages of using Node.js.
- Ability to build scalable programs
- Increased concurrency
- Asynchronous capabilities
15. Explain the Control Flow function.
It is a generic piece of code that runs concurrently between several asynchronous function calls.
16. List the steps involved in the Control Flow function.
Control the order of execution à Collect data à Limit concurrency à Call the next program step
17. Can a user access DOM in a Node?
No, you cannot access DOM.
18. In Node.js, how do you access the last expression?
We have to use the underscore (_) character to access the last expression.
19. In Node.js, which command is used to import external libraries?
A command called “require” is used for importing external libraries.
20. What is the biggest drawback of Node.js?
The biggest drawback is the fact that it is challenging to have one process with a single thread to scale up on multi core servers.
Got a question for us? Please mention it in the comments section and we will get back to you.