Hadoop Developer-Job Responsibilities & Skills
Recommended by 114 users
A Hadoop Developer is responsible for the actual coding or programming of Hadoop applications. This role is similar to that of a Software Developer. The job role is pretty much the same, but the former is a part of the Big Data domain. Let’s look at some of the responsibilities of a Hadoop Developer and gain an understanding of what this job title is all about.
Job Responsibilities of a Hadoop Developer:
A Hadoop Developer has many responsibilities. And the job responsibilities are dependent on your domain/sector, where some of them would be applicable and some might not. The following are the tasks a Hadoop Developer is responsible for:
- Hadoop development and implementation.
- Loading from disparate data sets.
- Pre-processing using Hive and Pig.
- Designing, building, installing, configuring and supporting Hadoop.
- Translate complex functional and technical requirements into detailed design.
- Perform analysis of vast data stores and uncover insights.
- Maintain security and data privacy.
- Create scalable and high-performance web services for data tracking.
- High-speed querying.
- Managing and deploying HBase.
- Being a part of a POC effort to help build new Hadoop clusters.
- Test prototypes and oversee handover to operational teams.
- Propose best practices/standards.
Hadoop is a rewarding and lucrative career with plenty of growth opportunities. If the job responsibilities listed above interest you, then it’s time to up-skill with Hadoop and get on the Hadoop Developer career path.
Skills Required to Become a Hadoop Developer:
Now that you know what the job responsibilities of a Hadoop Developer consist of, it is essential to have the right skill to become one. The following again consists of possible skill sets that are required by employers from various domains.
- Knowledge in Hadoop – Kinda Obvious!!
- Good knowledge in back-end programming, specifically java, JS, Node.js and OOAD
- Writing high-performance, reliable and maintainable code.
- Ability to write MapReduce jobs.
- Good knowledge of database structures, theories, principles, and practices.
- Ability to write Pig Latin scripts.
- Hands on experience in HiveQL.
- Familiarity with data loading tools like Flume, Sqoop.
- Knowledge of workflow/schedulers like Oozie.
- Analytical and problem solving skills, applied to Big Data domain
- Proven understanding with Hadoop, HBase, Hive, Pig, and HBase.
- Good aptitude in multi-threading and concurrency concepts.
Domains Looking for Hadoop Developers:
Besides the obvious IT domain, there are various sectors that require Hadoop Developers. Let’s look at the huge variety of such sectors:
- Life Sciences
- Media and Entertainment
- Natural Resources
- Trade and Transportation
The possible sectors where Hadoop Developers play an important role are limitless.
Other Job titles Similar to ‘Hadoop Developer’:
- Hadoop Engineer
- Hadoop Architect
- Hadoop Lead Developer
- Big Data Developer
There has never been a better time to master Hadoop! Get started with now with the specially curated Big Data and Hadoop course by Edureka.
Got a question for us? Please mention them in the comments section and we will get back to you.