There is a lot of misconception regarding – Who is a DevOps Engineer? Is he the guy who writes code and is also responsible for the work of a System Engineer? Well! Not exactly. In this post, I will clear all your doubts regarding the roles and responsibilities of a DevOps Engineer.
Go through this Edureka video on “DevOps Engineer” delivered by our DevOps certification expert which will explain what does it take to become a successful DevOps Engineer, and what industries are looking for in a DevOps Professional.
Who Is A DevOps Engineer? | Edureka
But before we move forward let me give you a quick introduction to what is DevOps?
What is DevOps?
DevOps is a software development strategy which bridges the gap between the developers and the IT staff. With DevOps, organizations can release small features very quickly and incorporate the feedback which they receive, very quickly. Following are some other benefits:
- Fewer Software Failure
- Shortened lead time between fixes
It overcomes all the limitations of the traditional waterfall model. DevOps process involves a lot of development, testing and deployment technologies for developing automated CI/ CD pipelines. Following are some of the famous DevOps tools:
- Git and GitHub – Source code management (Version Control System)
- Jenkins – Automation server, with plugins built for developing CI/ CD pipelines
- Selenium – Automation testing
- Docker – Software Containerization Platform
- Kubernetes – Container Orchestration tool
- Puppet – Configuration Management and Deployment
- Chef – Configuration Management and Deployment
- Ansible – Configuration Management and Deployment
- Nagios – Continuous Monitoring
Now, let us understand who is a DevOps Engineer?
Who is a DevOps Engineer?
DevOps Engineer is somebody who understands the Software Development Lifecycle and has the outright understanding of various automation tools for developing digital pipelines (CI/ CD pipelines).
But the question still endures “Who is a DevOps Engineer?”
DevOps Engineer works with developers and the IT staff to oversee the code releases. They are either developers who get interested in deployment and network operations or sysadmins who have a passion for scripting and coding and move into the development side where they can improve the planning of test and deployment.
But what will be your role in a company? Let’s look at the various DevOps Job Roles.
DevOps Job Roles and Responsibilities:
Let me first list down the various roles along with their description.
- DevOps Evangelist – The principal officer (leader) responsible for implementing DevOps
- Release Manager – The one releasing new features & ensuring post-release product stability
- Automation Expert – The guy responsible for achieving automation & orchestration of tools
- Software Developer/ Tester – The one who develops the code and tests it
- Quality Assurance – The one who ensures the quality of the product confims to its requirement
- Security Engineer – The one always monitoring the product’s security & health
To understand more about the job roles, you can refer to this blog – DevOps Roles
Now that you know who is a DevOps Engineer, and what are the various roles and responsibilities of a DevOps Engineer, let us have a look at what does it take to become a successful DevOps Engineer – DevOps Skills.
We are going to look a DevOps Engineer job description from Rackspace to understand what industries demand from a DevOps Engineer.
DevOps Engineer Skills – DevOps Job Description:
Key takeaways from the job description (DevOps Skills Required):
- Knowledge of one cloud platform (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Good hands-on knowledge of Configuration Management and Deployment tools like – Puppet, Ansible, Chef, Terraform etc.
- Proficient in scripting, and Git and Git workflows
- Experience in developing Continuous Integration/ Continuous Delivery pipelines (CI/ CD)
To know more you can read my blog on – DevOps Skills.
Wondering if you have the required DevOps Skills, check out Edureka’s DevOps Course Content
Well, I am pretty sure a lot of you must be wondering what the salary of a DevOps Engineer is, let me address that doubt of yours in the next section.
DevOps Certification Training
DevOps Engineer Salary:
Well, DevOps Engineer is one of the most highly paid job roles in the world. Obviously, salary depends on multiple factors like – company, skills, geography etc.
Salary estimated from 18,434 employees, users, and past and present job advertisements on Indeed in the past 36 months. Last updated: November 9, 2018:
Development Operations Engineer salaries by company in the United States:
I hope you have enjoyed my post on DevOps Engineer, got a question on the topic, mention it in the comments section.
If you are looking for online structured training in DevOps check out Edureka’s DevOps Masters Course Content. The curriculum is designed after extensive research on 5000+ DevOps Job Descriptions. It includes 2000+ hours of interactive learning and 12 courses, this will set you on the path of becoming a successful DevOps Engineer.