According to DexLab survey 2016 (India), 69% of all business will hire SAS experts in the coming year. SAS, which stands for Statistical analysis tool is a Business Intelligence tool that is used for data mining and analysis, reporting, predictive modeling, and econometric and time series analysis. As per an IDC (International Data Corporation) report, SAS has a 35% market share, more than double its nearest competitor. It has been around for more than 45 years and is now synonymous with Analytics. More than 90% of Fortune 500 companies use the SAS software making it one of the most powerful tools for data analysis. One can break into a career in SAS analytics by pursuing Base SAS certification.
Base SAS Certification
The SAS Base Programming Exam is required to obtain certification as a SAS Certified Base Programmer. This exam is also a pre-requisite for the advanced programming certification track. This certification equips you to query databases and perform analysis, including importing and exporting raw data files, manipulating data, combining SAS data sets and creating reports.
Note that, for the base exam, 25 subtopics are given within these five categories:
- Accessing Data
- Creating Data Structures
- Managing Data
- Generating Reports
- Handling Errors
This certification is a good track to start with SAS. Also, the Base certification is the only certification in SAS which is recognized globally.
Eligibility to Pursue Base SAS Certification
SAS courses require no formal education in analytics. Any graduate can undergo this course irrespective of age. However, a minimum of one year of experience in analytics is a must if you’re undergoing this course. While there is no specific education background required, a degree of proficiency in utilizing SAS Proc SQL, SAS Macro, Unix, Linux, and other SAS programs, familiarity with various web application tools and Windows programs, excellent problem-solving and analytical skills and advanced mathematical abilities, can ease the path to certification.
Advantages of Base SAS Certification
- Improve your skills and expertise by going through the process of preparing for a SAS exam. Even long-time SAS users will benefit from the experience.
- This certification enables industry validation of your SAS skills and expertise, which in turn helps you bag lucrative career opportunities in the field of analytics.
- This certification gives you credibility with your employer as a technical professional committed to personal growth.
- Job prospects for SAS professionals improve phenomenally with the certification. This leads to increased marketability if you are looking for a job.
- Since the entire structure of the certification is curated keeping in mind industry application, SAS credentials are job-role focused and offer immediate relevancy to real-world requirements.
- SAS skills are in high demand around the globe so your career can take flight to advancement.
- Base SAS certified individuals or for that matter any SAS certified individuals are listed in the Directory of SAS Certified Professionals which can be accessed by employers to validate your credentials.
A quick search for SAS programmer on major job posting sites will return hundreds, if not thousands of open positions across the United States, with most starting salaries in the range of $70,000 to $110,000 USD. More specialized certifications, especially those involving statistics and modeling, can drive the annual salary package to over $130,000. (Source: Forbes) Even in India, the certification opens up immense career opportunities. According to a PayScale survey, Base SAS certification can help you work as a SAS programmer, data analyst, business analyst and analytics manager drawing anything between Rs. 6,80,000 to Rs.12,82,000 annually.
Get Base SAS certified with Edureka to stay ahead to the analytics wave. Click here for more details!
Got a question for us? Mention them in the comment section and we will get back to you.